Thursday, February 29, 2024

Monthly Update: February 2024

February has been a ROUGH month. No joke. No lie. R-O-U-G-H. Where I live in Sacramento, we experienced some really intense rain storms at the start of the month. We lost power for two days. No internet for almost a week. And my car was damaged beyond repair after I drove over debris on my way home from the hospital where my mother-in-law had been taken by ambulance (she's home and is doing much better - thank you for the kind thoughts and prayers). During (because of) this, I got terribly sick and was stuck in bed for a few days with a mean cold. With March on the near horizon, I can't help but feel optimistic that March will be better (at this point, it has to be). 

We're kicking off March with a much-needed weekend getaway to Newport Beach. We have tickets to see the very talented Crystal Lewis perform in a big band show at Campus Jax. For any Frozen Stars fans, Crystal's version of Cuan Grande es El is featured in the film and on the soundtrack. It's hard to believe but this will be my first time seeing Crystal perform live, after being a fan of hers for almost three decades.

Very excited to share with you the short horror film Marbles, written and directed by the very talented Robert Hamilton. This one is super spooky and includes onscreen violence. The cinematography is fantastic (high fives to Michael Patti). This creepy, terrifying film stars Audrey Venable, BJ Mezek, and R. David King. I'm a very proud Associate Producer (I'm in the closing credits - woo hoo!). They’ve been winning lots of awards at film festivals with this one. Enjoy! 

I was excited to attend an open conversation with acclaimed filmmaker Mira Nair. It was a wonderful and very inspiring afternoon. I'm a huge fan of her beautiful films. Thank you, Sundance!

Here’s the official poster for the upcoming horror film Grind, written and directed by the very talented Mark Cantu. Every time I see my name on a movie poster it feels very surreal in a cool pinch-me-I’m-dreaming kinda way. Thrilled to be a part of this awesome indie horror project as a producer. The film will be out next year!

My unproduced short horror film script Mary Go Round has been doing very well in screenwriting competitions at film festivals. It was nominated in the category of Best Screenplay for the Scream Queen Shockathon, nominated for Best Screenplay at Venice Shorts in Los Angeles, and nominated for Best Short Script at the Tokyo International Short Film Festival. Very grateful for this recognition of my work as a horror screenwriter. 

I’m incredibly proud of this remarkable man. Edward just finished the application process for a doctorate program. If accepted, he will start working towards earning a Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) degree in Educational Leadership this fall. SO proud of him!

I hope February has been a blessing for you. 

Onward and upward.

David-Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment