Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Update: January 4, 2023

2023 came in like a wild storm - literally. Sacramento was hit with an atmospheric river storm that left us without power on NYE. Definitely a memorable start to the new year. And there’s more bad weather on the way. Yikes. 

Despite the weather I managed to watch my usual NYE selection of personal classics including Untamed Heart, Horton Hears a Who! (the original), Happy New Year, Charlie Brown, and the most bizarre holiday special: Rudolph’s Shiny New Year.  I also fell in love all over again with the films Peggy Sue Got Married and Xanadu

I’ve recently rediscovered one of the best TV shows ever made: Cold Case. All seven seasons are on HBO Max in case you love a fantastic crime solving show. 

I’m getting new glasses! I’m long overdue for a new pair. I already got fitted for them. They arrive soon. Expect a new look!

I’m reading Villette by Charlotte Brontë and I’m loving every beautiful word of it. 

The musical artist of the week is Janet Jackson because I’ve always loved her and because I recently heard her music randomly three times in one day. 

As for my writing career, 2023 is (already) on fire. Seriously, I’ve never had a year start as promising and fantastic as this one. So much to share!

Just minutes before midnight on NYE I got word that my short film screenplay Hot Rates to Omaha was selected for The Short List of Pilots and Shorts by the wonderful team at Barnstorm Fest (it’s on a level of award prestige I’m just now starting to experience 37 years into this long writing career of mine). So thankful for this honor!

My short film screenplay Hot Rates to Omaha has placed at #14 on The Red List at Coverfly. I’ve been working to get on this list since 2018. Very exciting!
My feature film screenplay Willa Cather Would Not Approve has been named an official selection for the 2023 Omaha Film Festival. I’m over the moon about this for many reasons, but especially because the script is set in Nebraska. I really, really, really hope this female-centric story finds the right director or producer soon. Universe, are you listening?

Also of note: the script adaptation of my holiday romance novel The Everlasting Gift received the award for Best Feature Film Screenplay at the Skiptown Playhouse International Film Festival in Los Angeles on January 1. I’m very grateful for this wonderful recognition of my work as a screenwriter. 

Onward and upward.

Until next week… 

“Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.” - Gloria Steinem 

Related Links

The Red List (Coverfly)

The Short List (Barnstorm Fest)

Best Feature Film Screenplay (Skiptown Playhouse)

Omaha Film Festival Selected Scripts

No comments:

Post a Comment