Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Update: February 8, 2023

I don’t know if anyone else goes through this, but lately all I want to do is read. It doesn’t help that I’m currently reading three novels and they’re all fantastic. When I was a child, reading was my favorite thing to do. Now, it’s a challenge to find enough reading time. 

This week I was reminded of the brilliance of Bette Davis. I re-watched the film Now, Voyager and she’s fantastic in it. Years ago I took a college class about women in film and my professor introduced to me this film and I’ve been obsessed with Bette Davis ever since. 

This week I also watched the 90th Anniversary edition of the film Rain, starring Joan Crawford. It’s an early performance in her career but terrific all the same. I can’t imagine making a film and 90 years later people are still watching it. That’s power. 

Speaking of, there’s a wonderful scene in the 80’s classic film Reckless starring Aidan Quinn and Daryl Hannah that makes my soul smile every time I see it. It’s a scene at a high school dance in which Aidan Quinn’s character takes over the awful music being played and replaces it with Romeo Void’s ‘Never Say Never.’ I remember seeing this film when I was in the eighth grade and that moment and that song have stayed with me ever since. 

I also watched the underrated and often overlooked Disney classic The Black Cauldron, the Sally Field ghost comedy Kiss Me Goodbye, and The Ring - a now iconic horror film that should’ve won every award possible, but because it’s a horror film, it didn’t. 

On the horror film note, I’m happy to tell you I’m one of the producers of the upcoming film Wolf Hollow. I hope you get a chance to check out the official trailer for the movie. It’s good stuff. 

I’ve also just finished a new feature length version of my horror script Baby Cindy. This project was originally a short film but I’m happy to say I went back to the project and built upon the original concept and the finished result is a terrifying story I’m very proud of.  

My music artist of the week is American jazz singer Blossom Dearie who died on February 7 in 2009. Her distinctive voice is unforgettable. Her version of Manhattan is one of my favorite songs. 

There were many wonderful moments this week including German class, podcast interviews, and lunch at a restaurant on the Sacramento River with wonderful friends. 

Until next week…

Onward and upward. 

“Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.”

Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment