Friday, December 16, 2016

A Few of My Favorite Things v.4

It's Friday! Guess what that means? A night of wild partying? Not quite. I'm a writer, remember.

If you must know, I'm spending the evening writing on my new AlphaSmart 3000 (see below).

BUT before I continue working into the wee hours of the night, I'm here to continue a new tradition on this oh-so-fun blog of mine.

Every Friday (okay, let's be honest: not every Friday, but I try) I list a few of my favorite things to share with any kind soul who takes the time to read this.

On today's list...

1. The AlphaSmart 3000. A few weeks ago I got really fed up - with myself. Blame it on the Internet. Blame it on being 46. Blame it on social media. I've had the worst time staying focused on tasks at hand, especially writing. This realization prompted me to do an in-depth web search (when I was supposed to be writing, case in point) to find a distraction-free word processor. Turns out one does exist, but it costs over $500. Instead, I went back in time and found a used AlphaSmart 3000, which I LOVE. Seriously, I can't say enough about it. I'm completely charmed by its simplicity. Someone really brilliant needs to bring these back. Here's why: when I posted on FB about my purchase, many other writers commented they shared the same frustration I do: trying to write in a world that seems hellbent on stimulation overload. Some even followed suit, and also bought a used AlphaSmart 3000 of their own. It's sad that these machines are no longer being made. If they were, a comeback would be certain.

2. Good Girls Revolt. I am so angry with the powers-that-be at Amazon Video. This fantastic show just premiered in October - and already the executive decision has been made to not renew the show for second season (which has to be one of the dumbest decisions made by Amazon). In response, social media is on fire about the irony: a television show about women fighting against a patriarchal work environment gets cancelled by a panel of all-male network execs. I hope a very smart competitor sees the error of Amazon's ways and does the right thing - and gives this terrific show a new home. Why do I love this show so much? Well, for many reasons, but the main one: if you read anything I've written or seen any of the plays or films I've produced/directed, you know this is something I could've created myself (and wish I had). Read this article on the anger over the cancellation of the show.

3. Grace Risch. I don't remember how I stumbled upon this lovely singer from Germany, but I'm obsessed with her music. Sadly, her EP isn't available in the US via iTunes (you can order it via Amazon though, but it might take up to 5 weeks to receive it). However, this song is available. And it's awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

The Archives

Visitors