Tuesday, December 29, 2015

2015: A Look Back

I can sum up 2015 with one word: exhausting.

The wonderful, hard working students who
were members of the RRCC Dance Team I
coached this year. 
I kicked off the year with a new job as the Program Director for the Theatre Arts and Dance Department at Red Rocks Community College in Colorado. Since then, the hours, days, weeks, and months have flown by. Seriously, 2015 feels like one giant blur. I remember breathing a few times.

I spent 12 months constantly fighting against my own schedule and commitments for time to write. Every day I would search for a shred of a moment to hideaway from the world long enough to hammer out some words onto page. Often, I was defeated. Luckily, my work load has diminished some - enough to create a solid writing schedule for the year ahead. As much as I love teaching (and theatre), my writing suffered terribly this year. This will not happen again.

SubUrbia
That's not to say there were many highlights along the way. After nearly 20 years, I finally had the chance to direct a production of Eric Bogosian's SubUrbia. The cast and crew were phenomenal.

I also founded and coached the first-ever co-ed Dance Team at RRCC. The team members worked incredibly hard, inspiring me to do the same.

In August, Edward and I headed to Las Vegas for a much-needed vacation, where we saw a fantastic Cirque du Soleil show. It was a wonderful, relaxing time - truly an awesome experience.

A lifelong dream was also fulfilled on that trip: I finally got to see Olivia Newton-John perform live in concert. It was just as magical as I had imagined it would be. Seeing your childhood idol sing every favorite song of yours on stage is a surreal experience - one I will never forget.

From the Denver premiere of my stage play Frozen Stars
In November we headed to the East Coast, specifically South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. Our first night was spent at a resort on Hilton Head Island. Edward and I made the effort to wake up very early the next morning to walk down to beach. There, we were honored with a gorgeous sunrise.

Fernandina Beach
Next, we headed to Fernandina Beach, Florida (Amelia Island) to spend some time with some wonderful friends. This was our third visit there. Already, the island feels like our home away from home. Without a doubt, we feel very strongly about living there someday. Next. we headed up to Atlanta to spend Thanksgiving with my father and step-mother (we also got to be there for my father's 64th birthday).

Once we were back home, I realized we had to cancel not one - but two - upcoming trips due to my very hectic work schedule. They were very difficult decisions to make - but necessary ones. Being an adult is not very fun sometimes.

This year I finally got to see Olivia Newton-John in concert.
It was a dream come true.
As the year is quickly coming to an end, I feel I learned many valuable lessons this year - but I also learned a lot about myself. I have a deeper sense of what is important to me - and what is not. This was a very transformative year for me. In many ways I don't even feel like the same person I was 12 months ago. Yes, I've changed that much this year. Priorities are different. Ambition is in full-throttle. Negativity has been swept out of my life. No longer do I feel the need to please everyone (I've suffered from this malady for years). Instead, I'm putting me first.

One of the necessities I recognize is the need to separate personal from professional. The line between the two will be much sharper now. Balance is achievable - even for me.

Overall, 2015 is disappearing at the same break-neck speed it happened for me: in a flash.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I love the summary of your year with the hints about what's to come for you. Have a wonderful 2016! You are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

The Archives

Visitors