Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Book Tour/Road Trip: Day 4

Saturday began with another poolside breakfast at our hotel. We then headed over to Casitas Laquita Resort to listen to a panel discussion on Bright Lights, Big City, moderated by the ultra popular and hilarious Ashley Bartlett (who's originally from and writes about El Dorado Hills for all my Sactown friends). I was super bummed that Rebekah Weatherspoon didn't show but Lisa Girolami and Nell Stark had great things to say about writing about the rich and famous and Diane Anderson-Minshall told one of the funniest stories I've ever heard. The second discussion of the day was Flashing Back: Playing with Time, moderated by the wonderful Connie Ward. This was followed by the annual (and always anticipated) BSB Skit, featuring many of the BSB authors - me included. I portrayed one of my characters (Diego Delgado from The Jetsetters) in a spoof of The Dating Game. Good times.

That afternoon I was honored to be among a fantastic group of male authors selected to read at the Palm Springs Public Library. I was in stellar company: Felice Picano, Ken O'Neill, Eric Andrews-Katz, Joel Gomez-Dossi, and Jerry L. Wheeler. The reading was moderated by Nell Stark who asked each author terrific questions about their work and creative process. I read an excerpt from Wonderland and an excerpt from The Jetsetters. The audience was wonderful. Overall, it was one of my best readings to date.

One of my favorite moments occurred when we were asked to choose a book we wish we would've written. Naturally, I answered with "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume."

After drinks and conversation at Wang's in the Desert, we (Mindy, Stacy, Edward, Kathy Knowles, and I) headed over to Hamburger Mary's for dinner.

By the time I got back to the hotel room, I was exhausted. I returned some emails and read the first chapter of my autographed copy of I, Rhoda.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

The Archives

Visitors