Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Home Sweet Home

On Sunday afternoon, I returned from a 10-day residency at Spalding University, where I am a new faculty member in their Master of Fine Arts in Writing Program. Needless to say, the experience was life-changing on many levels. In addition to working with some brilliant writers and incredibly talented students, I had dinner with Debra Granik (the co-writer and director of the film Winter's Bone), saw Adam Rapp's production of Sam Shephard's True West at the Actors Theatre of Louisville, discussed the influence of Jim McKay's indie film Girls Town on my own work, gave a lecture about writers crossing gender and cultures, and read an excerpt from my young adult novel Mesmerized to a room of 120+ people. I came home exhausted but strangely refueled. It truly was a wonderful experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

The Archives

Visitors