Friday, August 19, 2011

Why I Wish Ms. Dynamite Would Blow Up in America



It's been almost a decade since I first discovered the musical powers of Ms. Dynamite. I wish I could tell you how I stumbled upon her brilliant single It Takes More, but, once I did, I knew I'd found something genius. Lyrically this song is deep (and melodically addictive). I've always admired her fearlessness, her commitment to never shy away from real life, relatable, in-your-face topics. Later, my love for her intellectual/socio-politcal hip hop music would led me to the equally-provocative Northern State (I will plea for them to reunite in another blog at another time).

It baffles me why artists like her don't receive more airplay, promotion, fan love in America. Take a look at any newspaper. Visit the playground of any school. Have a conversation with a teenager. You will quickly realize how much we are in desperate need of artists who push the boundaries and challenge us to actually think. Why is it that (particularly in the American music scene) artists who actually have something to say are rarely heard?

Like all artists, Ms. Dynamite's style and influences have shifted in the recent years. Her new single has just been released in the U.K. (but, sadly, most of her music is not available in America via iTunes, with the exception of her first album). With this new song, we are presented with a more mature (but still relevant and contemporary) and seemingly more subdued performer. Don't be fooled. She's still the live wire she's always been. And, hopefully, always will be.

Say what you want, but Ms. Dynamite can still make us stop and feel. She can still take our breath away. And isn't that what it really means to be a true artist?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for reminding me how much I love Ms. Dynamite.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

The Archives

Visitors